How to clean silver jewelry?
Silver jewelry perfectly complement the image of a modern woman. Unfortunately, prolonged wearing and non-compliance with measures to care for such jewelry lead to a plaque on them and darkening. How to clean silver items?
Silver is a noble metal requiring constant and focused care, consisting in the fulfillment of a number of conditions:
- In order to avoid plaque, earrings, rings, chains, bracelets should not be worn when carrying out water procedures at home, as well as while relaxing at sea.
- In order to prevent oxidation that occurs as a result of the metal reacting with sweat, jewelry must be removed during physical exertion. Such loads include, for example, gym classes. In addition, they can lead to deformation, damage or contamination of silver items.
- Cooking with silverware on hand is not recommended. Detergents and certain foods may adversely affect their appearance.
- It is recommended to remove precious things during night sleep, especially with regard to the summer period.
- In order to protect silver jewelry from stains and oxidation, make-up and use of perfume should be done before they are put on so that cosmetics do not come into contact with silver.
- Upon contact with rubber, which contains the main source of darkening - sulfur, silver rapidly darkens and loses its attractive appearance.
- Every 3-4 weeks, silver items need processing to ensure that they get rid of small impurities and a slight darkening.
- Silver must be cleaned only in glassware, as metal and plastic can adversely affect jewelry.
- After cleaning, it is undesirable to wear jewelry for several days - during this time a natural film should appear on the silver, protecting it from various kinds of damage.
Compliance with the above rules will ensure the preservation of an attractive appearance of jewelry made of this noble metal for as long as possible.
How to clean?
Silver is cleaned independently at home or by a jeweler in the workshop. Which way to give preference to is determined by the owner of the jewelry. When deciding in favor of cleaning at home, you need to know exactly the composition of the alloy and the degree of contamination of the product. Consulting a professional before performing this or that method of cleansing does not hurt.
How to remove plaque?
There are many home recipes suitable for removing plaque from silver products without stones:
- Heated vinegar (6%), a cotton disk or a piece of fleecy fabric. Wipe the chain, ring, bracelet or earrings with a disc dipped in vinegar.
- Vinegar (100 ml), baking soda (50 g). Put the objects to be cleaned for a couple of hours in a mixture of these substances, rinse with water.
- Baking soda, water. Get a pasty texture by combining them. Clean products with a suede cloth on which the prepared compound is applied.
- Citric acid (100 g), water (700 ml), copper wire (a small piece). Dissolve acid in water. Put the dishes with the resulting solution in a water bath. Place wire and items to be cleaned at the bottom. Stand for half an hour.
- Citric acid (100 g), water (1/2 liter). Dilute citric acid in water. Put the decorations there, boil for no more than 5 minutes, then leave them in the solution for half an hour. Remove and rinse in water.
- Water (250 ml), foil (the value should correspond to the parameters of the palm), salt (teaspoon). Grind the foil into pieces, put in a glass with water, pour salt. Stir the resulting liquid until the salt dissolves. Put the cleaning item in the cooked product for 10-15 minutes.
- Foil, soda, potato broth or ordinary boiling water. In the vessel, the bottom of which is covered with foil, put jewelry. Pour soda and pour boiling water. Things should hide under the liquid and lie so for a few minutes.
- Laundry soap, water. Grind the soap on a grater, pour water. Put the things to be cleaned in the finished soapy liquid.
- Toothpaste, napkin or suede. Wipe the silver thing with a napkin and paste. To get involved in toothpaste as a permanent means of cleaning is undesirable, since with its frequent use microcracks can form.
- Lipstick (not hygienic), a piece of tissue, a soap solution. Clean the jewelry with a lipstick smeared cloth. Wash with soapy water. Lipstick should be used occasionally and very carefully, as it is an abrasive.
- In boiling water, preserved after cooking the potatoes in their skins, put the jewelry for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour Coca-Cola into the pan, place the contaminated objects there, leave them there to a boil, boil for several minutes and remove.
- Put the decoration in a container with tomato ketchup for several minutes. Remove the remaining funds with a napkin.
- Egg yolk, water. Coat the decorations with yolk, allow to dry, then rinse.
- Water left over from boiling eggs. Lower the objects to be cleaned in a warm liquid and hold for 15-20 minutes.
- Raw egg shell, water (500 ml), salt (5 ml). Pour water into a pan with shell, add salt. Wait for boiling, remove from stove. Fold things to be cleaned in a saucepan and let stand until cool.
- Ammonia (10%). Put the products in the vessel, then pour a small amount of ammonia. He must cover them. Hold a quarter of an hour. Then wash with water and wipe. When working with ammonia, gloves must be used. For work, be sure to choose a well-ventilated room - a balcony, a garage, or clean it in the fresh air. Do not bend too close above the vessel with ammonia.
- Cold water (250 ml), ammonia (tablespoon), hydrogen peroxide, shampoo for children. Pour ammonia into water. While mixing the liquid, add a little hydrogen peroxide and shampoo. Lower the silverware into the prepared mixture for a quarter of an hour. If the result is not satisfactory, leave for another 15-20 minutes, but the total time allotted for the procedure should not exceed 60 minutes. Remove cleaned items, rinse under water and wipe with a cloth.
- Ammonia, toothpowder or ground chalk. Bring the ammonia solution with the powder (chalk) to a consistency resembling gruel. With a cloth, apply the resulting mixture for cleaning, wait for the mixture to dry. Wipe the product with a dry cloth, rinse with water and wipe.
For cleaning, you can use professional cleaning products brands "Aladdin", Silbo and others. Each tool is accompanied by an instruction that details the process of processing silver products. The advantages of their use are the absence of damage and the creation of a protective film on the jewelry.
Depending on the stones decorating the earrings and rings, acceptable means are selected that allow for gentle cleaning:
- Sapphire, aquamarine and emerald can only be cleaned with a toothbrush with washing powder.
- Malachite, opal, moonstone and turquoise are washed with a warm soapy solution.
- Topaz, pomegranate and ruby do not tolerate hot water and perceive only products without chlorine and abrasives.
- The cleaning of pearls, coral, amber and ivory would be advisable to entrust to specialists.
Silver-free jewelry with no dusting allows powder treatment for brushing your teeth. Soda solution will help whiten products.
Silver-plated rings, bracelets, chains, earrings should not be subjected to increased friction. To wash such products, water with dissolved soap is used, into which a small amount of ammonia is added.
Blackened silver needs regular cleansing of dirt. But it cannot be boiled and chemical solutions used for processing. It is better to use a potato broth or a liquid that involves mixing water and soda.
It is not recommended to use detergents when delicately cleaning products with enamel. There are two effective methods for cleaning them: wash objects in cold water with ammonia (5 ml) or clean the enamel with tooth powder, and then wipe with a napkin.
To remove dirt from rhodium silver, powders that can damage the thin protective layer cannot be used. Jewelry with such a layer is resistant to various damages and attracts with its radiance superior to pure silver. The best option for cleaning is highly professional cleaning in a jewelry workshop.
Gold plated silver can be restored to its original appearance using several methods:
- Wipe a little dirt with a piece of suede;
- Use a cotton swab soaked in alcohol to clean deeper dirt;
- To get rid of plaque and complex contaminants, place objects for a quarter of an hour in a solution consisting of 1 liter of water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar or for half an hour in beer, then wash and wipe with suede.
In the workshop, plaque and dirt are removed from jewelry with several means:
- Ultrasound cleans dirt, removes plaque.
- The steam generator removes grease, plaque and those impurities that ultrasonic cleaning has failed.
- Napkins impregnated with active substances polish products.
How to remove rust?
Silver corrosion is characterized by black color. You can remove rust quickly enough without leaving your home.
To combat corrosion, you will need a quarter cup of water, liquid detergent for dishes (10 ml), ammonia (5 ml). The listed components must be mixed well. Soak a swab in the resulting solution (if you need to clean some small object, for example, a silver ring) or a rag (to clean larger objects). Apply liquid to silver. If the procedure was ineffective, you should put the silver product in the solution and leave it there for 10-30 minutes, then rinse. If there is nothing left of the stain, the silver should be wiped dry.
In the event that nothing helped, it would be advisable to turn to a jewelry workshop for help from a professional.
To the secrets of the proper storage of silver, eliminating or minimizing the need for cleanings, relate:
- Precious metal products should be stored in a room with a low level of humidity. Moisture and moisture will cause the decoration to fade.
- Pay attention to air temperature. Silver does not like its sudden changes.
- For silver jewelry and jewelry with stones, sunlight is pernicious.
- Choosing a place to store silver jewelry, one should give preference to caskets with fabric interior decoration. In this case, the main factor should be taken into account - the presence of many compartments that allow earrings, rings, bracelets, chains to be isolated from each other. This will prevent mechanical damage and dust settling.
- You can use special airtight containers or cotton bags. Bags for storing jewelry, as a rule, are treated with special chemical solutions to avoid tarnishing.
It’s better to spend a little time and energy providing a safe and comfortable place to store silver jewelry, than to spend hours later on cleaning them, trying to restore the radiance and its original attractive appearance.
Unfortunately, silver, unlike gold, tends to lose its presentation over time. There are some tips that will allow you to enjoy the dazzling brilliance and the original appearance of silver jewelry for longer:
- The first signs of tarnishing and the appearance of yellowness are an alarm that warns that silver needs to be cleaned in the near future. If you do not notice this in time, more complex pollution may form or blackening may appear.
- When cleaning things at home, it is better to use a rag, cotton pad or soft sponge. To resort to the use of a toothbrush should be in the most extreme cases.
- Do not use dubious means to remove dirt from a precious metal (such as an eraser).
- Sterling silver 925 can only be processed with professional cleaning products.
- It is imperative that you wipe dry the silver items that have been cleaned.
- When choosing a means of polishing silver jewelry, suede, flannel fabric or wool should be preferred.
- In case of doubt that may arise when choosing one or another method of removing dirt and plaque, professional advice will not hurt.
See how to clean silver at home in the next video.