Diplomatic etiquette: types and rules of holding receptions
Receptions are a form of business communication at various levels. During the reception, representatives of states, business partners, business colleagues, just friends and acquaintances can meet. During such events, the observance of ethical standards of behavior plays a crucial role. Before attending the reception, you must familiarize yourself with the provisions of diplomatic etiquette.
Diplomatic etiquette is a set of norms and rules of conduct at official events. Since official receptions can take place in the presence of representatives of the highest level, ignoring the rules of business conduct can be a serious insult.
The diplomatic protocol is a centuries-old historical experience of international business communication. Its formation took place gradually. The author of the diplomatic protocol is not a specific person or country.
The established rules are derived on the basis of the principle of "international courtesy." This principle calls for respect and respect for everything that represents or symbolizes a state.
The difference between diplomatic etiquette and protocol is that etiquette involves showing respect and good manners to the participants in the official event: officials, politicians. The diplomatic protocol is a more generalized and broader concept that dictates the principles of respect for countries and states.
Diplomatic receptions can be arranged at various levels and on various occasions. Most often these are national holidays, significant dates and events. At the reception, a distinguished figure or honorary representative of another state may be honored. Also, a reception can be arranged on the occasion of a large family celebration, professional holiday, art exhibition or theater premiere.
Such an event involves some preparation for it. Holding receptions is quite a crucial event. The larger the event, the earlier the preparation should begin. Invitations for guests must be sent at least 10 days in advance.
The organizer and the owner of the event should properly prepare for its formal part.
The invitees, for their part, must also make sure that appropriate clothing is selected. It should be appropriate at this event, appropriate to the situation and time. Excessively luxurious and elaborate outfits will look ridiculous and will cause only negative emotions from others.
At the reception you must arrive at the time indicated by the organizer - try not to be late.
Guests should make sure in advance how to get to the venue.
Depending on the occasion, the contingent of invited guests, receptions are usually divided into official and unofficial.
Official diplomatic receptions
At such events, participants are usually associated with professional activities. These can be work colleagues, business partners, representatives of various organizations or enterprises. Very often, at high-level official receptions, diplomats and other representatives of various states meet.
Formal receptions require particularly careful preparation and organization.
Such techniques are less formal. They can be invited family members, friends, colleagues. The occasions for these events are usually various celebrations, family events and festivals. Of course, during such holidays, the international diplomatic protocol is not entirely appropriate, but even they require compliance with relevant ethical standards.
Depending on the time of the receptions, there are daytime and evening. It is customary to dress less formal for daytime events of this type. For women, a short dress is allowed. Evening receptions are usually more solemn; they require careful selection of wardrobe. For men, this is a strict business suit or dress coat. Women at an evening formal event should choose a long dress.
- At evening formal receptions, a jacket for men should be fastened. Unfastening it is allowed only while at the table.
- Do not abuse perfume or deodorant. The fragrance should be light and unobtrusive to others.
- For business receptions and negotiations, plain suits of restrained and strict colors are suitable: gray, black, blue, dark blue.
- Acceptable tie length - to the trouser belt. Care must be taken to ensure that the knot on the tie is neat.
- In the summer, it is allowed to wear dresses or suits of light tones for day receptions. Shoes are selected in a similar color.
- Often the organizers in the invitation indicate the desired form of clothing. In this case, you must comply with the request of the owner and choose the appropriate suit.
- It is worth refraining from choosing a plain black tie. Such a wardrobe item, as a rule, is worn for funeral events and funeral services.
- Do not put objects in the pockets of a jacket or jacket.
- You should also refrain from holding hands in the outer pockets of clothing.
- Women are not recommended to wear a large amount of jewelry at diplomatic events.
You will learn about the features of diplomatic etiquette in the next video.