Thermoses for food: varieties, rules for selection and operation
Tourists and geologists, truckers and many other people have to use thermoses. Even in a large city, for permanent employees, this device is very important. Therefore, you should know what it is, what kinds it happens and how it works.
The modern thermos for hot food is constructed in the physical plane in the same way as the very first samples of these devices. The soup version differs only in the presence of a double lid. The first level closes the neck, preventing the products inside from spilling out or spilling out. At the second level, threads are provided. This design eliminates the contamination of bags, bags, backpacks with various foods.
The second lid is often used as a cup - and it turns out extremely convenient. Thermoses for long-term storage of food differ from conventional food models in that the products can maintain the required temperature over 48 hours. Of course, this is not necessary for lunch at work. But in tourist and expeditionary practice, such thermoses will be very attractive. Excellent shock resistance and mechanical strength are necessarily provided, which is achieved by using a special alloy.
A thermos with a wide neck allows you to conveniently lay food there and remove them. In most cases, the outlet cross section is the same as the bulb cross section. Attention: models with a narrow drain are more suitable not for solid food, but for drinks. Modifications for the soup, as for the second courses, are formed by placing the flask in a special cylinder. Vacuum and twin walls provide maximum heat retention.
The inner compartment is made of glass or various metals. The type of flask determines which cap will be used in a particular case. Glass models are locked with "corks", and metal models are equipped with particularly reliable screw caps. Some versions are equipped with two or more containers for first courses and for other food. In an office or industrial setting Very good results are shown by an electric thermos heated by an outlet.
Even if the food cools down due to a busy schedule or unpredictable business, it will be possible to guarantee a comfortable food temperature. Such lunchboxes will also help to refuse fast food and sandwiches.
It is not necessary to use plug-in versions. For people who are often forced to drive during working hours, thermoses that are connected to the cigarette lighter are ideal. The universal type is the same as wide-necked dishes.
However, the universality of the application is not always justified. When such a product is open, the dishes will warm up or cool down too quickly. Pure liquid models with a pump cover also deserve attention. They are quite weighty and therefore not suitable for carrying in backpacks or bags. But for a trip on various types of transport, a pump-type thermos is ideal.
Sudkovy option is used only occasionally. Such devices contain 3 smaller containers, the volume of which is 0.4-0.7 liters (depending on the design features). There are similar models made of special food grade plastic. She is experiencing excellent heat. Even with rapid cooling, this substance retains its practical qualities.
You can also look at flat models that look like plates. In some cases, they turn out to be more practical than conventional “cylinders”. Flattened thermal containers like these can help keep food hot on a long trip or long walk.
The main thing is that the storage does not last more than 6 hours. Washing is possible even in simple dishwashers.
Flat thermoses are not so small. So, popular models Mayer end Boch, Bradex Bento hold 1.5 l of products. But for those who can’t choose a suitable device for a long time, they need to familiarize themselves with thermoses of the “bag” type - they contain a lot of food and are suitable for multi-day trips. And the reproduction of the design of an ordinary bag is also quite nice - this makes the transportation of dishes more comfortable.
But the classification of thermoses can be made not only by size, features of the device and the main problem to be solved. An important role is also played by the geometry of a particular product. Widespread type of "bullet", that is, an elongated cylinder. This design is small in size and is characterized by ease of use. Carrying a “bullet” is easy, but due to its narrow neck it is mostly filled with drinks.
Recent models of such thermoses have no traffic jams. Valve wraparound caps reduce heat loss. Moreover, they will serve as an impromptu glass if no other containers were at hand. The "universal" type is wider than the bullet, the neck also has a larger diameter. A valve may be provided inside, sometimes there are side handles; both of these elements simplify work with drinks.
Familiarity with the materials of thermoses is very important and it should begin with the device housing. The metal outer shell is very durable and perfectly resists shocks. But plastic also has its advantages - the manufacture of a thermos case from it allows you to save and lighten the product. A similar option is not bad for use at work, at home and in cottages. But it is not recommended to wear plastic thermoses on trips and take them on long trips.
The point is the lack of strength and stability of plastics. This problem is characteristic of even the best synthetic materials. Especially considering that not all synthetics are equally good for making thermoses. It is necessary to take into account the properties of the flask.
For many decades, food thermostat flasks have been made of glass. This material:
- chemically inert (does not affect the quality of food and its taste);
- differs in small thermal conductivity;
- it is easily washed and cleaned mechanically.
But we must remember about the fragility of the glass, about the likelihood of its mechanical destruction upon falling or strong impact.
Because thermoses with glass flasks are chosen mainly for home or country use. In these cases, the vessel has to be transferred infrequently, it is used mainly for storing food. As for plastic, it is valued primarily for its lightness.
Since plastic flasks are damaged only with a very strong impact and pressure, a thermos with them can be used in almost any environment. But there is one caveat - odors are absorbed into plastic very easily. Therefore, you have to use the vessel strictly under one drink or product. Steel flasks are ideal for a wide variety of types of food. Alloy of iron with carbon:
- does not collect aromas;
- excellent temperature retention;
- survive even a very strong blow.
But keep in mind that a flask made of steel is heavier than that made of plastic. Important: it is advised to use not a simple ferrous metal, but a stainless alloy. Then it will be possible to safely apply a thermos even in long-distance hiking trips. You need to choose the material strictly according to your needs. Trusting anyone's opinions is not recommended.
- A thermos is great for soup "Arctic 302-500". Its main parameters are as follows:
- capacity - 0.5 l;
- manufacturing of the case and flask from first-class steel;
- retention of heat and cold for 7-8 hours;
- dry weight - 0.474 kg.
- Among the best models of thermal boxes for food is Regent Soup 93-TE-S-3-1000. Its volume is 1 liter. Both the outer shell and the flask are made of durable steel. Dry weight reaches 0.97 kg. It is not difficult to use such a product, a pen is provided, but there is a slight drawback - the product looks unnecessarily simple.
- Suitable for second courses "Arctic 301-750". This thermos contains 0.75 liters of food, all of its parts are made of steel. The model holds the temperature longer than "302-500". The product is quite comfortable and looks pretty good.
- For soups and main courses, the modification is equally designed Mayer & Boch 20690.
- A good alternative is LaPlaya Food Container JMG 0.5L Petrol. This thermos holds 0.5 l, its body is made of steel and plastic. The dry weight of the product is 0.32 kg. Heat retention guaranteed for 6 hours.
- Use thermoses to store food Rosenberg 99504-Q - they are easy to wash, and foreign odors do not accumulate inside.
- The top best versions also include a children's thermostat. Thermos Funtainer Peace. The relatively small size and bright design make it quite suitable for schoolchildren. Strong steel construction is quite comfortable. The manufacturer guarantees that the food stays warm for 4-5 hours. This is quite enough for meals at school, kindergarten or other similar places.
- If you need a pump-driven model for 5 liters, it is worth taking a closer look at Bartscher 190135 26068. Both the pen and the lid are made of black plastic. The bottom is integrated ring. This allows you to expand the thermos 360 degrees.
- Among the thermos bags, it is recommended to choose a version Ezetil KC Camping. This is an oval product up to 30 liters. The gray bag is made of PVC free material. Design design fully meets modern requirements. However, due to the significant amount to pay for Kc camping will have a pretty solid amount.
- As an alternative, you can consider a thermal bag Thermos Classic 48 Can Cooler. This product holds 33 liters of products; durable plastic is used for its manufacture. The weight of the thermos in the original packaging is 0.515 kg.
- Among the miniature versions deserves attention Thermos Element 5-Food Jar. This design is designed to hold both heat and cold. High temperature can be kept for 7 hours, low - 2 hours longer. Of course, we are talking about ideal cases. Compact bag with anti-slip coating.
- A good alternative is Zojirushi. The volume of this thermos is 0.35 liters. Steel body guaranteed to retain heat up to 6 hours.
- Convenience and functionality is different Amet Express. Thermos is divided into 2 compartments, because it can simultaneously store both solid food and drinks. The design is thought out in such a way that both hot and cold products can be held. The main parameters are as follows:
- capacity - 1.2 l;
- handle equipment;
- case from strong stainless steel;
- net weight - 1 kg;
- maintaining the initial temperature - up to 5 hours.
- Suitable for tea and coffee Mini PNF160. This thermos is suitable for hiking and long trips, including in company. The capacity of the flask is 1.6 liters. However, the design is very successful, and the height is exactly 0.31 m. Important: mugs are included in the delivery set. It should be remembered that the Mini PNF160 has a drawback - a glass bulb. It is very fragile, which to some extent pays off by maintaining heat up to 12 hours under favorable conditions. This is quite sufficient not only for office work, but also for “one-day hiking trips”. Note: the outer case is made of plastic with a matte sheen that is not susceptible to contamination. The glass bulb has another advantage - it will not rattle, which is very good on hunting and fishing.
- Thermos rocket bottle - also a great thermos with a stainless steel sheath. Designers were able to develop a reliable screw plug. Fastenings for straps are provided, the length of the straps themselves is adjusted as necessary. Thermos equipped and retractable handle. The manufacturer declares that drinks inside keep their temperature up to 48 hours, and reviews confirm this statement.
- Deserves attention and Penguin BK-36. This thermos has been produced since 2001, and over the past time it has established itself from the best side. The product can be taken even on long trips and multi-day trips. Note: there are options with a capacity of 0.75 and 1 liter. A positive feature of the product can be called excellent temperature parameters, which is just and most important for thermoses. The thermos has an optimal design both for carrying in hands, in a backpack, and for transportation in the car. The creators basically abandoned the use of seals. Instead, they tried to fit the parts as tightly as possible to each other. This solution will greatly simplify cleaning. Externally, the BK-36 looks attractive and even original.
How to choose?
When choosing a home thermos do not definitely give preference to high-volume products (but they should not be ignored). We must carefully assess our needs. Carrying a very large and heavy vessel is simply uncomfortable and impractical. This should be considered even for those who are going to carry products by car or motorcycle.
It is necessary to take into account the difference between metal and glass flasks. Metal products are better suited for hiking and for people seeking to lead an active life. Glass constructions are too fragile; in addition, they do not retain enough heat. Cooked food will cool quickly. Plastic flasks are practically unsuitable, because they are even worse than those made of glass.
It is very important to evaluate the quality of the outer casing. The best option is metal. Despite the increased severity, there is an important advantage: unlike glass and plastic, steel will not crack. Plastic products, even with extreme care, cannot last more than 1 year.
Regarding volume, should focus on certain people with their needs. That is why, by the way, a thermos is rarely suitable as a gift to a stranger.
But still you need to buy very small, like very large models only in exceptional cases. Small volume not only ends quickly, but also prevents the retention of heat. This is extremely inconvenient. Especially in cases where you will have to use a thermos often or unpredictably.
Another nuance - it is necessary to study the device itself personally. He is held in his hands and examined from the inside out. Check how the cap is unscrewed and twisted. It must be reliable and stable, even if the vessel is turned upside down and shaken vigorously. Make sure that no extraneous odors and tastes. And of course, you need to focus not so much on an affordable price, but on consumer reviews.
As for heated thermoses, then everything is not easy. Food heating is rarely implemented at a high level. The thing is the great complexity of its proper organization in such a modest amount. But warming up drinks is usually done better.
Interestingly, individual models are able to take energy not only from a wall outlet or from the cigarette lighter in the car, but also from a laptop.
Tips for use and care
No matter how well the thermos is picked up, it is very important to apply it strictly according to the rules. So, experts advise thoroughly rinsing the container after each application. If you drag on for too long, you will have to deal with dried-on food debris.
It is strictly forbidden to use thermoses with metal flasks for storing carbonated drinks, including champagne. Gas bubbles can cause serious damage to the product.
Sometimes a thermos has to be left unused for several months. Then before the first use of the vessel you need to hold warm water in it for 3-5 hours. This will prevent food contamination from residual odors.
If the flask is made of plastic, it is not recommended to pour the soup all the way inside. There should still be some part of the cork in the flask, as the plastic may be damaged.
Never wash and clean the thermos:
- abrasive mixtures.
Attempts of such cleaning will result in a significant reduction in service life. In addition, even the best metal products should be protected from falls and bumps, simply because the extra risk is not needed. Important: for the very first time, the thermos is thoroughly washed, and only then used. For washing, all non-aggressive household and branded products are used.
The cork or lid must be locked as carefully as possible, otherwise the contents will spill out and spill out. In the interval between applications, the thermos is stored open. This allows you to either completely avoid problems with extraneous odors, or greatly facilitate the fight against them. Hot water is poured into a thermos with a glass flask, holding the vessel itself at arm's length. It is strictly forbidden to look inside!
Pre-heating the flask in microwave ovens, ovens and other foci is unacceptable. In general, it is worth using a thermos strictly for moving and storing food, and not for cooking or heating. Shaking the contents of glass containers is undesirable. It is also not worth storing sharp, cutting, or other hard objects there. Regardless of the material of which the thermos and the bulb are made, you can’t drink directly from it - you can get a burn.
The vessel must be transported strictly vertically - This is the most reliable and practical position. Vertical placement for a glass thermos is especially important. After pouring out hot drinks, you need to wait a while before washing the container. As for the filling, it is best to use exactly the volume that does not interfere with inserting the cork or screwing the cap normally. Otherwise, the product will cool or warm too quickly.
It is also necessary to know why a thermos can lose its basic properties. Most often this is due to a broken plug. Somewhere they just save on the production of the lid, do not comply with the technology - that's why It is important to immediately choose a model with all severity. But problems with plugs and caps often arise through the fault of consumers themselves, who exert excessive efforts. Due to the high voltage, cracks appear.
Checking for leaks is very easy. Thermos flip over and see if the liquid is leaking. Even a few drops indicate serious damage. But the coating of the glass bulb to scratch even purposefully practically fails. If it is deformed, then this is definitely a manufacturing defect.
Very good marks give the company's products Agness especially models with a plastic container with a capacity of 750 ml. This thermos appreciates a sturdy case and relatively small dimensions. The silicone insert and belt for transportation also attracts people. A good alternative, adjusted for a smaller (0.5 L) volume, is Regent Soup 93-TE-S-2-500. This model is made of strong steel and can save the required temperature for up to 24 hours.
The vacuum thermos of the model is slightly worse Stanley Adventure Vacuum Food Jar. This device is durable, but its aesthetic qualities will not satisfy all consumers. But in the descriptions, attention is drawn to the insignificant dry mass of the product and the compactness of the neck. In everyday life, such parameters are very convenient.
Regarding the isothermal container Mega 2.6 L, then it is an easy and capacious food storage, easy to carry. However, it is noted that it does not keep heat well.
ZojirushiSZ-JB02BA Consumers recommend for children attending school or sports training. Heat will be retained for 6 hours. In general, the device copes with its task.
But Esbit FJ1000ML causes conflicting estimates. In particular, complaints are received about the weakness of the sealing gum. The air valve in the cover makes it easy to open. But it can be clogged with dirt, and flushing is extremely difficult, since the lid cannot be disassembled. The device holds a good temperature. It’s nice to touch the case. However, you must consider the reviews, which say that the surface is easily covered with scuffs.
See how to choose the right thermos in the next video.